“Literature is full of God’s glory if we learn how to read it Christianly.” – Dr. Ryan Stark, Humanities Department Chair
As an English major, cultivate your love of words and great literature in the company of other avid poets, novelists, scholars, artists, and literary entrepreneurs. Refine your analytical skills, and further develop your ability to write well and with Christian discernment.
Consider yourself warmly invited to join the eclectic community of Corban’s English program and prepare for a life of professional excellence in the creative arts…and a life that glorifies God.
Is English the right major for you?
- You find the deeper truths in books, movies, songs, and advertisements.
- You’re interested in human behavior and what motivates people.
- You’re a self-starter, enterprising, resourceful, able to accomplish tasks independently.
- You enjoy communicating with others in various modes and genres.
- You realize that great books are not an escape from reality, but an escape to reality.
Major in English, with flexibility to customize your degree through electives, or choose one of these four concentrations:
English majors at Corban are prepared for careers in various fields, such as:
- Publisher, writer, editor
- Professor, teacher
- Journalist, blogger, reviewer
- Film, television, or theater producer and director
- Information curator, information specialist, librarian
- Novelist, poet, non-fiction essayist
- YouTube content developer
- Corporate or nonprofit institutional researcher
- Marketer, designer, creator
What You’ll Learn
We offer a wide range of courses. Every major’s experience in the program is distinctive—tailored to his or her interests and career goals. Classes you might take include the following:
- Masterpieces of Christian Literature
- 20th Century American Literature
- Literature of Love
- Devotional Poets
- C.S. Lewis
- Nature and Structure of the English Language
- Literary Criticism
- Russian Literature
- Diverse Authors
- 19th Century British Literature
- Dr. Ryan Stark – Professor of English, Chair of the Department of Humanities
- Dr. Marty Trammell – Professor of Humanities
- Dr. Colette Tennant – Professor of English and Humanities
- Tamara McGinnis – Associate Professor of English, Director of Theatre Arts
- Gina Ochsner – Associate Professor of English, Writer in Residence
- Naomi Yanike – Assistant Professor of Media Arts
Corban’s English major is well-suited for students interested in study abroad, particularly CCCU’s GlobalEd program at Oxford University, England. Corban faculty also lead study tours to Great Britain where students can earn academic credit while exploring the land of C.S. Lewis, Jane Austen, Shakespeare and more.
For more than 25 years, Corban’s Theatre Arts has taken center stage with its superb productions. Students from all majors have the opportunity to express their creativity and flair for the stage through dramas, tragedies, comedies and even musicals.
Many Corban alumni who were active in Corban Theatre are now teaching theater in schools, directing drama groups in churches, acting in theater troops, and writing scripts for both church and community projects.
Fusion Art Show
Every fall students interpret English majors’ poems as paintings and photographs. The photographers and painters work independently and do not consult each other. The result is a wonderful mixture of poetry, painting, and photography. It is fascinating how art can beget art. Their work is displayed in a gallery here on campus, they participate in a reading, and their work is showcased in a professionally designed book. The Fusion Art Show is a meaningful way to celebrate God’s abundance on Corban University’s campus.
For those who wish to participate, Corban also houses an honors program, which any student from any major is welcomed to pursue. Learn more.