What to Expect in the U.S.

Studying in the U.S. is an exciting adventure, but living so far away from home and in an unfamiliar culture has some challenges, too. Every international student goes through a time of adjustment, but we are here to help.

“Be open to other cultures. Surround yourself with people you can trust and be friends with.” – Princia Andrianirina, Madagascar

Getting Your Student Visa

Studying in the U.S. is an exciting opportunity, but the process to get here can seem overwhelming. We are here to help!

Corban University is certified by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS’s) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. After you have been accepted to Corban University and paid your deposit, you will need to follow these steps before arriving in the United States:

1. Get a Form I-20

To receive a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Status,” you will need to provide evidence of financial support and supporting documents. After you provide these documents and pay your $500 tuition deposit, our Office of Admissions can send you the Form I-20.

Required Documents:

  • Statement of Financial Responsibility. This form must be submitted with supporting bank documents or letters from all sources of support for your time in the United States. You are required to prove funds for at least the first full year of school. You can get the form here: Statement of Financial Responsibility.
  • Scanned copy of your passport picture/information page. A scanned copy of your passport information page is needed to complete the Form I-20. You can directly email the scanned copy of your passport to your admissions counselor, Esther Oosterhout.

Receiving Your Form I-20:

You will receive a signed Form I-20 from your Admissions Counselor and Designated School Official (DSO) via email. Once you have received it, print a copy and sign it where necessary. You will take this form with you when you go to your visa interview and when you travel to the United States.

2. Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee

All international students must pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee. You can pay your fee at www.FMJFee.com. For more information, view the Form I-901 Fee Payment tutorial.

3. Apply for a Student Visa

You can apply for a student visa to travel to the United States at your designated U.S. embassy or consulate. Make sure you bring all required documents with you. This process could take as long as three months, so begin this process early.

*Please keep in mind: Corban University does not guarantee that you will be issued a student visa to study in the United States. Assuming required documents are submitted, we can only issue you a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) with which you can apply for the visa.

For more information on studying in the U.S., please visit studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students.


The weather in Oregon is fairly mild, but does change with the seasons. Summers are warm and winters are rainy and cool. Occasionally we get snow!

Season Average Temperature
Autumn (September, October, November) 64°F or 17°C
Winter (December, January, February) 48°F or 8°C
Spring (March, April, May) 61°F or 16°C
Summer (June, July, August) 79°F or 26°C

Students typically wear casual clothes, such as jeans, t-shirts and casual tops, and athletic clothing. Bring clothes that you can wear in layers, since the temperatures can start out cold in the morning and warm up in the afternoon. T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, light jackets, sweatshirts, scarves, gloves, and hats are all good to have. You will also want a rain jacket for the wet spring months and a warm coat for winter.


Don’t worry if you don’t have a car. We have set up a shuttle from campus to some of the major stores in Salem that our international students enjoy. Salem also has a public bus system, or you can always find another student to give you a ride to church, shopping and other activities. We also have bikes available on campus for you to borrow.


All students are required to have certain immunizations. Students from some international countries may be required to take a tuberculosis test before attending Corban. Please see our immunization form for details.

International Student Orientation

We want to make sure your transition to life in the U.S. is as smooth as possible. Before classes begin, you’ll participate in Warrior Welcome, our new student orientation. We can also help you:

  • learn how to find your way around campus
  • establish a bank account
  • get set up with a U.S. cell phone
  • get to the store to shop for essentials
  • obtain health insurance
  • meet key people at Corban University
  • learn how to use transportation options
  • discover restaurants, shopping and fun activities to do near Corban’s campus

You will also meet your advisor and professors, connect with other students, make new friends and learn strategies for a successful college experience.

International Student Support

Throughout your time at Corban, our International Student Support Services will be available to assist you with adjusting to life in the U.S. You will also have access to all of our Academic Student Support Services, including tutoring, editing of written papers, disability services, and more. We are here to help you succeed!