“I’m not a numbers person,” says Corban alumna Amy. “My passion is people—and numbers is how I help them.”
Accounting is one way you can use your analytical mind and attention to detail to make a difference. Whether you’re interested in public accounting, corporate accounting, or wealth management, you’ll be equipped to excel in the accounting profession. You’ll learn to prepare financial statements, balance accounts, manage payroll, prepare tax returns, and build client relationships.
Is Accounting the right major for you?
- You are exceptionally organized and detail-oriented.
- You enjoy puzzles, and you keep looking until you find the solution.
- You value integrity and aren’t afraid to make tough calls.
- You enjoy meeting new people and working as a team.
- You’re able to communicate complex things in a clear manner.
- You enjoy discovering things that aren’t obvious to other people.
It is not unusual for our accounting graduates to have a job offer even before they graduate. Over and over again, we hear local firms and business say, “We want Corban grads.”
- 100% of our 2018 accounting graduates had jobs within 3 months of graduation.
- 30% of our accounting majors who will graduate in 2019 already have jobs lined up!
Our students frequently go on to earn their Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license, and they’re well-prepared to do so. In 2016, Corban had the 4th highest CPA exam pass rate among all Oregon colleges and universities, and the highest among Oregon Christian colleges! Corban students also surpass the national average pass rate for the CPA exam.
What You’ll Learn
In all your courses, you will learn more than the technical aspects of accounting: you’ll learn how a biblical worldview perspective shapes the way you view your career and the decisions you make. In addition to your core business courses, you’ll take specialized accounting courses such as:
- Advanced Accounting
- Cost Accounting
As a business major, you will also get real world experience by participating in Corban Consulting Partners, ImpressibleYou™, internships, global opportunities, and more. Learn more about the Hoff School of Business.
Accounting Scholarship Opportunities
Corban’s accounting majors are frequent recipients of competitive scholarships from outside sources, such as the OSCPA and the AICPA. Explore accounting scholarship opportunities by visiting these links: