Skip to main content
Corban University

Types of Aid

Corban students are eligible for aid from federal and state programs, as well as Corban’s own aid programs. We encourage all students to look for financial aid from outside sources as well. Your local library and High School counselor are good places to begin your search for local outside scholarships. On a national level, try Prior to March 1, Oregon residents can fill out the application at for private scholarships through the State of Oregon. In order to receive the most federal, state, or institutional aid, students must first fill out a FAFSA.

Federal Aid

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

A Subsidized Stafford Loan is a need based loan where the payments and interest start six months after the last date of enrollment. The government “subsidizes” or pays the interest while you are in school. An Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is a non-need based loan. It’s the same as a Subsidized Stafford Loan, only the government doesn’t subsidize the interest while you are in school. You may choose to pay the interest as you go or have it accrue and be added to the principle amount upon repayment. There are loan fees for each.

Stafford loans can be awarded to all Corban students, with Subsidized Staffords going to students with financial need. The Federal Direct Loan program eliminates the need for loan applications, outside lenders, guarantee agencies, and paper loan checks. Corban will provide the student with everything needed to receive a Federal Direct Stafford Loan. The maximum loan amounts depend on the student’s year in school and total financial need. For more information click here.

Federal Grants

  • Pell Grants
  • TEACH Grant

For more information about Federal Grants click here.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Awarded students with significant financial need at Corban, and range from $200 to $4,000. This is a limited fund award. For more information click here.

Federal Work-Study

FWS is aid to students who have financial need and work on campus. FWS must be earned and will be paid out as work is completed. FWS students can claim their FWS earnings as income exclusions on the FAFSA the following year. If you are eligible for FWS you will be notified on your award letter of your eligibility. In addition to on campus jobs you can tutor school children in reading and receive FWS money. For more information click here.

Education Tax Credits and Deductions

The site provides an overview of possible tax credits and deductions. Please contact a tax professional for complete details or visit

State Aid

In order to receive any federal, state, or institutional aid, students must first fill out a FAFSA.

Alaska State Student Loans

These loans are available to Alaska residents who attend Corban full time. For more information click here.

Oregon Opportunity Grants

Available to Oregon residents who demonstrate significant financial need on the FAFSA. Maximum awards vary yearly. For more information click here.

OSAC Private Scholarships

Private scholarships available to students who apply. Application and list of scholarships are available on the Oregon Student Assistance Commission’s (OSAC) website. For more information click here.

Institutional Aid

Academic Scholarships

Explore Scholarships, Grants and Loans.

These scholarships range from $7,000 to $17,000 and are automatically awarded to students who meet certain criteria. Presidential and Chancellor’s academic scholarships are renewable if the student maintains a 3.0 cumulative GPA at Corban. Dean’s and Director’s academic scholarships are renewable if the student maintains a 2.7 cumulative GPA at Corban.

Difference-Maker Grant

Awarded to students who make a difference in their schools, communities, and churches. The award amounts range from $500 to $1,000. A Difference-Maker Grant application must be received by the Admissions Office by February 1 to qualify.

Alumni Scholarship

If you have a parent that has graduated from Corban you are eligible for a $500 scholarship.

Athletic Scholarships

Awarded to recipients selected by the University’s coaching staff in recognition of athletic performance and potential. Contact the Athletic Department for more information.

Christian Worker Dependent Grant

Awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need (from the FAFSA) and whose primary income source in the family works full-time for a recognized not-for-profit Christian organization. The award amount is $1000.

Honors Scholarship

Awarded to students who participate in the Corban Honors Program. For more information contact the Honors Committee.

Church Matching Grant

Corban matches up to $1,000 provided by your church. To qualify, you must have your church fill out and return a Church Matching Scholarship Application by August 1 of the year you plan to attend.

Sibling Grant

A $750 grant for each dependent sibling attending Corban.

Music Scholarships

Awarded by the Music Department to students participating in music programs. Contact the Music Department for more information.

Corban Grant

Awarded on the basis of financial need and other factors.

Private Aid

Private scholarships and grants are available from a variety of sources including organizations, businesses, foundations, churches, and schools. Local libraries and schools are the most common places to find resources detailing available scholarships.

Additional Borrowing Options

A Parent can borrow a federal PLUS loan for a student, or the student can borrow a low-interest private loan (usually with a co-signer).

Federal PLUS loan features (borrowed by a parent)

  • Credit decisions are based on recent credit history, not debt to income ratio.
  • A fixed 7.595% interest rate.
  • 4.264% loan fee. 95.736% of the amount borrowed is applied to the student’s account.
  • Payments begin 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed (typically in the spring semester) or a parent can request that the Department of Education defer payments until six months after the student ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.
  • If the parent is denied the PLUS loan due to credit, the student qualifies for additional federal unsubsidized Direct loans ($4000 for Freshmen and Sophomores and $5000 for Juniors and Seniors).
  • Offers loan forgiveness in the event of Death or Permanent Disability of the student or parent borrower.

For more information see the Federal Student Aid Office.

Private loan features (borrowed by the student with a co-signer)

  • Apply with the lender, such as one of these alternative private education loan lenders.
  • Interest rate varies based on credit worthiness of the borrower or co-signer.
  • May have fees if approved at a level other than excellent credit.
  • Payments don’t begin until six months after you graduate (most lenders).
  • Interest rates are variable but some lenders offer a fixed rate option.
  • Some lenders allow for the co-signer to be dropped after one or two years of on-time payments.
  • Some lenders offer a loan forgiveness option in the case of a student death or disability.