The strategic media concentration prepares students to become strategists for digital and social media platforms that include the needed skills of studio voice and audio, blogging, vlogging, WordPress, graphic design, and storytelling. The fields of marketing, public relations, and advertising all intersect with the use of strategic media design to be able to work in and lead digitally-driven organizations.
Is strategic media the right major for you?
- You enjoy telling stories, especially visually.
- You are organized and like to plan ahead.
- You can multitask well.
- You’d consider yourself both creative and analytical.
- You enjoy navigating social media and learning how to use it better.
What You’ll Learn
You will develop skills in studio voice and audio, blogging, vlogging, WordPress, graphic design, and storytelling. Build a well-rounded expertise in media arts through core courses, and then add a specific focus on strategic media, with room to customize course selections to your particular interests.
Required strategic media courses:
- Organizational Communication
- Studio Voice, Audio, Podcast
- Media Practicum: Social Media
Elective strategic media courses:
- Creative Writing
- Oral Interpretation of Literature
- Logic and Rhetoric
- Philosophy of Video Games
- Creative Media Lab
- Social Media Marketing
- Advanced Speech
- Intercultural Communication
- Persuasive Theory and Writing
- Special Topics: Media Arts
- Communications Internship
Creative Media Lab, Special Topics, and Communications Internship courses are all completely customizable to what you want to learn. Take an advanced course in audio production or focus on marketing strategies. This is your opportunity to go deeper into a topic you choose.
As a strategic media student, you’ll have the skills to conceive, design, build, execute, and deliver powerful multimedia resources suitable for a wide variety of purposes through careers such as:
- Social Media Strategist
- Podcast Host / Producer
- Public Relations Professional
- Corporate Communications Manager
- Digital Marketing Manager
Hilltop Media Studio
Create your own podcast or record voicework in the new Hilltop Media Studio in the Academic Center.