Graduation Day: Instructions for Graduates
The following instructions will help the commencement ceremony move smoothly and in an orderly fashion:
- All graduates will assemble in their assigned seats in the Salem Armory Auditorium at 12:15 p.m. for a short rehearsal on Saturday, May 4, 2013 (prior to graduation). You will then move to the staging area for lineup. BE IN YOUR CAP AND GOWN PRIOR TO THE REHEARSAL
- Please do not bring purses, briefcases, and other non-essential items to the graduation ceremony because there will be no place to put them.
- You will line up in the same order as you did at graduation rehearsal.
- Please remain in order as you proceed into the graduation area and take your assigned seat.
Undergraduate Degree Candidates:
- President, Dr. Reno Hoff will present the undergraduate degree candidates. The candidates will be asked to stand for the conferring of degrees. You may then be seated.
- When instructed your row will stand and you will march forward to receive your diploma.
- Enter the stage on the right; you will receive your diploma from the board chair. Shake hands with the President, exit to the left, and return to your seat. *Be aware of the photographers who will take your picture upon receipt of your diploma and when you exit the stage.
Graduate Degree Candidates:
- President, Dr. Reno Hoff will present the graduate degree candidates. The candidates will be asked to stand for the conferring of degrees. You may then be seated.
- When instructed your row will stand and Graduate degree candidates will proceed to the right side of the stage carrying their hood over their right arm. As their name is read, they start toward the podium, stop between the two graduate school representatives, hand their hood to the representative on their right and face the audience while the graduate school representatives place the hood over the candidates head.
- Candidates will then proceed across the stage to receive their diploma from the board chair. Shake hands with the president, exit to the left and return to your seat. *Be aware of the photographers will take your picture during the hooding, receipt of diploma and when you exit the stage.
- Following the benediction and final words, the platform party and faculty will exit, followed by the graduates.
Diplomas are mailed to graduates. Make sure that the registrar’s office has your current mailing address.
- August graduates: Diplomas mailed in September.
- December graduates: Diplomas mailed in January.
- May graduates: Degrees will be posted and diplomas mailed within 6–8 weeks of graduation.